What permits and licenses would you need to open a small shoe store? I looked everywhere but I can’t find anything I need to start a shoe store.
The permits and licenses you may need depend on your state and county laws. Some areas require you to get both the state license AND the city/county license. You need to contact your county or city hall office to ask for their requirements.
As the NC Department of Secretary of State http://www.sosnc.com/
“North Carolina has no single generic license for all businesses. Some businesses may be subject to several state requirements while others may not be subject to any. For instance, most service-only businesses are not subject to any state licensing requirements, but restaurants may have to comply with several such requirements. If you are planning to establish a business in North Carolina, you are encouraged to call and speak to a BLIO License Consultant first. Speaking with a consultant is the best way to determine compliance with all state license and permitting requirements. Should you miss a license requirement after relying on advice from BLIO, you will still have to fulfill the license requirement, but you generally will not be punished or have to pay a fine for non-compliance if BLIO failed to advise you about the specific STATE requirement you missed.”
Most of the information you need are up on the web.
Here are some sites you may want to look at:
- North Carolina Department of Secretary of State Business License Information www.sosnc.com/
- Greensboro City www.greensboro-nc.gov
- Business Link North Carolina http://www.blnc.gov/start-your-business/business-licenses-permits
Also check out our How to Start a Business in North Carolina
North Carolina Department of Commerce has a toll-free number that you can call 1-800-228-8443 (from 8am – 5pm EST) for your customized consultation specific to your business. I suggest you give them a ring
Good Luck !
Nach M Maravilla
Recommended Resources on How To Start a Medical Billing Service
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Starting and Running a RetailStore
- How To Manage A Retail Shoe Store: A Series Of Essays By Prominent Retail Dealers (1888)
- Women’s Shoe Store Start Up Sample Business Plan NEW!
- Fashion Entrepreneurship: Retail Business Planning, 2nd Edition
Article originally published in April 2002. Updated February 27, 2012
- Gathering Information For Your Business Plan
- Licenses and Permits for Starting a Home-Based Business
- How to Succeed in the Shoe Store Retail Business
- Starting a Shoe Retail Store (Part 2)
- Starting a Children’s Shoe Store: Finding Suppliers