QUESTION ON Starting a Home-based Recruiting Business
I have been thinking of starting a home-based business, and the executive search business fascinates me. I’ve had some contact with recruiters before and I find what they do to be very interesting. What do I need to start a home-based recruiting business? Is this a business that I can successfully do from home (at least initially)? Any tips and advice on how to start a home-based recruiting business will be greatly appreciated
– Michael Long
Advice by Tammy Harrison
As with any home business, you will need to discuss the set-up with an attorney and/or income tax professional to make sure you set it up correctly from the beginning. You also need to check with your local zoning board and/or county/city offices to be sure you are allowed to have a business in your home.
What most recruiters do is to pick a specialty. I just visited on the phone last month with one who chose to focus on the Agriculture industry (which was of interest to me since that is the field my husband is in). By picking a certain area of industry to focus on, it gives you the opportunity to build a database of potential employers and employees yet still remain small enough to be personable.
With the specialty you choose, you will need to find out the basic requirements that the industry demands from employees (i.e. typing at a certain speed, computer experience, etc.) and possibly offer testing and screening for such. You would also be a step ahead by researching and contracting with folks who can do background checks on potential employees. This requires a form that is filled out and signed by the intended, as well.
I strongly suggest you read the article How to Start an Executive Search Business, which offers a comprehensive guide on how to start a recruiting business, including income potential, start up expenses and the challenges faced by this business.
Take some time to research the industry. Visit various recruiting businesses (online or offline) to find out what they offer, how you can improve on the service, etc. If you do your homework up front, running the business will be a breeze!
Best to you,
Recommended Books on How To Start a Home-Based Recruiting Business
- The Complete Guide to Owning And Operating a Home-Based Recruiting Business: A Step-by-Step Business Plan for Entrepreneurs
- Making Millions from Your Home: The Basics, Building Blocks, and Breakthroughs of Running a Successful Home-Based Business
- Executive Recruiting Consulting Business
- Wealth Starts At Home: And 15 Other Financial Secrets That Could Make You a Fortune
Article originally published in March 2001. Updated February 23, 2012
Tammy Harrison is a successful home-based working mom for over five years. She holds a degree from Mizzou in Consumer Economics. Her business focuses on Marketing and Creativity for Small Businesses as well as numerous other small businesses.
- How to Start an Executive Search Business
- Personal Recruiting: Key to MLM Success
- Home Businesses with High Income Potential
- Recruit or Die: How Any Business Can Beat the Big Guys in the War for Young Talent
- The Enthusiastic Employee: 16 Myths on Employee and Performance Management