QUESTION ON Starting a Note Card and Invitation Business
I currently have a home based handcrafted note card and invitation business. I would like to take it to the next level and start a full line greeting card/stationery business, marketing to retailers. What are the trends for this type of business and is the market saturated with these products? Do you think there is room for one more?
– Dana Petersen
Advice by Tammy Harrison
The laws of supply and demand are such that there is certainly room for more! You must have a product that people want, you must market the heck out of it and you must take the time to make sure you have set your business up correctly.
For something like this, I like to suggest you start locally. It’s amazing what a little volunteering in your area can do for a business!
Give your cards away to fundraisers, give them to the Chamber of Commerce or your local tourism bureau to use as they wish. Make yourself known wherever you go! If there are locally owned “mom-and-pop” stores, go see if you can work out a consignment deal with them. The tourism industry is just what will help you take your product global, if it is worth it.
Think of it, a person wanting a postcard or souvenir comes into the store and sees your card, they take it home and share it with others….you could be in demand in no time!
Best of luck….keep a positive attitude and your dream could come true!
Recommended Resources on How To Start a Note and Invitation Business
- 101 Ways to Say Thank You: Notes of Gratitude for All Occasions
- Custom Invitation Business
- Promo-Art: Innovation in Invitations, Greetings, and Business Cards
- Invitations and Paper Details (One-of-a-Kind Wedding)
Article originally published in February 2001. Updated February 22, 2012Tammy Harrison is a successful home-based working mom for over five years. She holds a degree from Mizzou in Consumer Economics. Her business focuses on Marketing and Creativity for Small Businesses as well as numerous other small businesses.
- Starting a Greeting Card Business
- How to Use Business Cards to Get More Customers and Increase Profits
- Earn Money Writing for Greeting Card Publishers
- Accepting Credit Cards Online: 10 Red Flags For e-Fraud
- How to Use Business Cards as an Effective Marketing Tool