QUESTION ON How A Retiree Can Start an Online Business
I am a 67 yrs. young person, a retired nurse with some post-grad work. I owned a craft shop (and ran it) for 5 years, but that was 10 years ago. I am now in a wheel chair but still has a clear mind. Even in my chair, I can still put in a good 6 – 8 hr. work day. I have PC and enjoy working on it. I have been looking for some kind of “in home business” — but NOT MLM or a get rich quick thing !!!!! How do I find something ? I feel that I can learn most anything. —
Advice by Nach Maravilla
There are several ways you can earn money on the Internet — the legitimate way, and not the get-rich-quick (there is no such thing). All requires work, from web site creation, to building traffic and marketing the site.
1. Sell products. If you read our Making it Big on the Web stories (https://www.powerhomebiz.com/SBP/intro1.htm), all the entrepreneurs that we’ve featured thus far share one thing in common — they are earning hundreds of thousands of dollars on the Web by selling a product. Michelle of BabyGenius.com sells baby products. Tamara of BigKidsVideo.com sells children’s videos, while Tony of RedWagons.com sells Radio Flyer products. Think of a product that you can sell from your home, one that does not require too much inventory and can be started with little budget. We cannot tell you what business to start; it must be something that you want to do.
2. Resell something. If you don’t have your own products to sell, you can sell other people’s products and earn a commission from them. You can resell e-books and get 10-25% commission, or join affiliate programs.
3. Create unique content and earn through advertising. This is currently a losing proposition. Even mega sites such as Yahoo is suffering from poor online ad sales.
Read our article How a Home-Based Entrepreneur Can Earn Money on the Web to give you an idea of what works and what doesn’t work on the Web. I suggest you also read the article How to Earn Money on the Web.
Also check out our E-commerce Guides page at https://www.powerhomebiz.com/ECommerce/ecommerce.htm and the Internet Marketing page at https://www.powerhomebiz.com/ECommerce/internetmarketing.htm
It is not easy to find the right business. You just need to keep looking at what you can and can do, what interests you and what resources you you can use to make a go at it.
Hope this helps.
Thank you for being part of Power HomeBiz Guides.
Nach M Maravilla
Recommended Resources on How To Start a an Online Business
- Starting an Online Business All-in-One For Dummies
- The Six-Figure Second Income: How To Start and Grow A Successful Online Business Without Quitting Your Day Job
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Starting a Web-Based Business
- How to Start a Home-based Online Retail Business, 2nd (Home-Based Business Series)
Article originally published in February 2001. Updated March 10, 2012
- Starting a Craft and Gift Shop for a New Mom!
- Starting a Web-Based Relationship Counseling Business
- Tips on How to Earn Money from Home
- How to Start Retailing, Marketing and Promoting Homemade Products
- How to Find the Hottest and Trending Products to Sell Online