QUESTION on How to Make Money from an Information Website
I am creating an information website about a particular niche in the travel business. This is something I want to start part-time but hopefully grow into something lucrative. How do I generate business out of a content based website? How do I make money from this information website? Thanks.
– Tricia (Baltimore, Maryland)
ANSWER by Isabel Isidro
You can make money from a content based or information website in several ways:
You can earn from advertising by joining banner advertising networks such as Tribal Fusion, BurstMedia or Chitika and display the banners on their site; or through contextual advertising such as Google Adsense or Kontera. You can also sell your own advertising and sponsorship, both on your website or your newsletter.
It is important to note that the quality of your site – in terms of looks and overall aesthetic, level of traffic, and type of users you attract — are very important factors for advertisers. These factors also can dictate whether you can get accepted into the higher-paying advertising networks like Federated Media.
2. Subscription model.
The subscription model entails giving access to the information only to paid members. Subscribers or paid members pay monthly or annual fee to access your website.
However, your content must really be compelling and not something freely available on the Web to be able to charge for subscription. Some sites such as Webmasterworld.com offer free content, while at the same time offer a paid subscription-only section where members can get reviewed on their sites and receive feedback from experts.
3. Sale of content.
You sell access to your articles piece by piece (unlike subscription model which is a blanket approval to access your content)
4. Affiliate programs = you sign up to sell other people’s products or get paid by other means (for every signup, leads) or however the program is designed. Check out Amazon Associates Program (if it is available to publishers in your state) or join affiliate networks such as Commission Junction or Clickbank.
5. Sell ebooks or CDRoms containing your content.
You can package your entire content in one ebook or CDROM and offer it for sale.
One excellent marketplace is Amazon Kindle. Kindle has been growing fast and Amazon has been promoting the product heavily, making Kindle a wide open marketplace for the information products that you create.
Also check out Clickbank if you are looking to find affiliates willing to sell your products for a fee.
6. Content syndication.
You can sell your content to other websites, and get paid for the rights to republish your content. One good example of this business model is Associated Press.
7. Repackage or repurpose your content into videos
Create videos from your content and submit it to video sharing websites. Youtube allows you to earn from your videos through their Youtube Partner program or through acceptance into Google Adsense.
8. Package all your content into a book.
Once you have enough material from your information website, put everything together in a cohesive package and edit it into a book. Being a book author establishes you as an expert in the field, and may even open new income possibilities for you, such as speaking engagements and others.
Other Resources on How to Make Money from an Information Website
- How To Get Started Promoting Clickbank Products For Profit
- Earning Money from Your Articles
- How to Estimate the Potential Advertising Revenues of Your Website
- Earning Advertising Revenues from Blogs
Recommended Books on How To Monetize a Content-Based Website:
- THE savvy way to successful website promotion; Attracting on-line traffic; Guide to top positioning on search engines
- Ultimate Guide to Pay-Per-Click Advertising
- Cashing In On Article Writing: Internet Marketing To Go!
- Learn How To Become Wealthy Selling Ebooks
Article originally published May 2006. Updated on January 21, 2012
- How to Choose an Advertising Network and Earn from Ads
- Is the Subscription Business Model Right for Your Online Business?
- How to Earn Money on the Web
- How to Earn Money on the Web
- Key Elements of a Successful Information Website