Rarely are we in a position to sell to a customer something that is so unique and compelling that they have no other choice but to buy from us. To help create a competitive edge in the marketplace, we must find ways to distinguish our selling process from our rival’s.
One of the most effective ways to do this is to use each call to “learn” something about the customer and to “teach” them something about the business. When we take the time to both “learn” from and “teach” the customer something, then we have earned the right to “sell” them. This is a consultative selling approach.
“Learning” something about the customer is absolutely essential if we are going to be in a position to help identify their true needs. Therefore, the questions you ask must allow you to gain information that can be used either in the current call or at a later time with the customer. An example might be finding out from a customer what their financial limits are.
“Teaching” is the way we can help the customer become more qualified in their position and, in turn, make better decisions. Teaching them something should not be centered on the products or services we offer, but on the industry and business practices. The key is to provide them with practical information. By doing so, you will demonstrate that you are interested in helping them be more successful, rather than just selling them something.
”Selling” is the final step. Naturally, we want to sell our products on every call. However, reality reminds us that many times there are objections and other issues that must be overcome before the customer will buy from us. Still, it is essential for us to do on every sales call, whether it is simply selling our integrity, our listening skills, or our personal style.
In the end, we have been successful if we have earned the right, privilege, honor, and respect to call on the customer again. This is best achieved when we’ve taken the time to learn from them and teach them information of benefit.
Recommended Books on Selling Process:
- High Probability Selling: Re-Invents the Selling Process
- Client Builder Selling: A Practical, Hands-on Selling Process for Small Business Owners and the People Who Work for Them
- Questions That Sell: The Powerful Process for Discovering What Your Customer Really Wants
- Selling 101: What Every Successful Sales Professional Needs to Know
Mark Hunter, “The Sales Hunter”, is a sales expert who speaks to thousands each year on how to increase their sales profitability. For more information, to receive a free weekly email sales tip or to read his Sales Motivation Blog (http://www.thesaleshunter.com/blog/), visit http://www.TheSalesHunter.com
- Sales Call Selling Process
- Train Customer Service Representatives to Cross Sell
- Do You Believe in the Products You are Selling?
- Forget Cold Calling; Referral Selling is the Best Sales Strategy
- 8 Key Questions to Ask in EVERY Selling Situation