Fleet tracking can be a valuable benefit for a variety of small businesses, despite the misconception that it is not an affordable option for SMEs. Even if you run a relatively small fleet of vehicles, you’ll benefit from a wide range of advantages from adding a GPS tracking system. These benefits will soon ensure a return on the initial outlay for your fleet tracking system and you will also have the advantage of enhanced customer satisfaction and have a competitive edge over other local brands in your market.
Developments in technology mean that modern fleet tracking systems provide comprehensive data that is of real value to business owners and can cut maintenance and fuel costs considerably.
Benefits of fleet tracking
A wide range of small companies will be able to benefit from the advantages provided by fleet tracking. Just some of the small companies that are likely to benefit considerably by upgrading to fleet tracking systems include:
- Couriers, where the added ability to send the closest available driver to jobs makes it easier to take on urgent despatch work and will enhance customer satisfaction immensely.
- Restaurant delivery services can provide a better service to their customers by giving them accurate times for delivery utilising GPS route planning, ensuring that food deliveries are of a higher quality.
- Taxi and delivery businesses will benefit from reduced fuel costs when they use fleet tracking to monitor which vehicles are closest to pick-up points.
- Service engineers for utilities and domestic appliances can take advantage of fleet tracking to provide customers with realistic times of arrival for jobs. It will also be easy to dispatch the nearest available technician out to emergency call outs when GPS tracking is in place. Where engineers have a variety of calls to make in a day the advantage of smart route planning will cut mileage costs and improve customer satisfaction levels.
- Construction businesses can track vehicles and heavy machinery so they have continued awareness of the whereabouts of all assets.
- Landscape gardening companies and other service providers can benefit from planning customer calls to ensure the most fuel-efficient service.
Enhanced driver safety is also an important benefit provided by fleet tracking. Business owners can programme automated alerts to receive notification of any aggressive or bad driving tactics from employees. Safer driving tactics will help reduce business insurance rates which adds another benefit to the incorporation of GPS tracking.
Keeping accurate mileage records can be time-consuming and is a recognized weak area for many small business providers. Your fleet tracking system provides precise mileage information, helping your business to comply with legislative requirements.
Enhancements to onboard diagnostic technology (OBD) and the increased coverage available for mobile devices mean that the amount of data provided by GPS tracking systems is comprehensive. You can benefit from data which includes:
- information on vehicle idle times
- identification of issues such as over-revving, speeding, high acceleration rates, and over-braking
- monitoring for fuel fraud
- real-time tracking of vehicles
- fuel consumption
- management of regular maintenance
Taking full advantage of the advanced analytics and available data gives any business owner or small fleet manager the ability to reach an in-depth understanding of the logistical challenges which face the business and individual driver behaviors. This helps you identify problems at a very early stage, before they become insurmountable, and ensures a deep impact on vehicle running costs and business reputation. Research into fleet tracking has found that a business with a fleet of 40 vehicles could save up to £400 in fuel costs monthly when GPS tracking systems are in place.
- Business Systems and Process for Your Home Business
- Some Really Effective Delivery Tips For Small Businesses
- PIM Systems: Everything to Know about Product Information Management
- 8 Lessons in Managing Large Accounts
- Train Customer Service Representatives to Cross Sell