There are many people who love the idea of earning money online. They’ve heard lots of stories of how “easy” it is to make money on the Web, but when told of what it really takes to create a website, how difficult it is to get the right type of traffic, or how hard to find customers when you sell on Ebay or offer your services on Elance (now Upwork), they then start to back off.
If you think starting your own online business, or selling on Ebay or Amazon is too hard, too stressful, too time consuming and too involved, you can choose to participate in money-generating schemes that may be “easier” while allowing you to stay at home.
There is, of course, a catch (there is ALWAYS a catch)! While they may be easier to do and jump start, they may only earn you enough for some spare change and pocket money. If you’re lucky, you may even earn enough to buy a cheeseburger in McDonald’s. They are easy to do, but you won’t see any 6-figure income from doing any of these things.
Here are some of the “easier” work-at-home opportunities that allow you to earn money online:
1. Website User tester
Big businesses, including government agencies, often test their new websites or new products and offerings before launching and making them live. They want to make sure that there are no bugs, broken links or faulty navigation both in desktop, mobile or tablet versions of their site.
As a website tester, you will be asked to go to a URL, go around the site, and then write a report on your experience. For some tests, you will be provided with test scripts so you know what you are testing and what you need to look out for. Some assignments will be given to you as a result of your demographic profile, as you fit the client’s target audience and they’d like to know your opinions about their new website.
Requirements include computer, Internet connection, and for some tests, mobile devices and webcam. You can sign up at sites such as:
- UserTesting.com = pays $10 per assignment; and $15 for mobile
- StartUpLift.com = $5 for every feedback
- Userlytics = $10 for every test
- UserFeel.com = $10 per test
2. Online surveys
There are real market surveys that actually pay, and there are those survey sites that do not offer financial compensation but give you opportunities to win prizes. Read the article Earning Money from Online Surveys.
If you are inclined to do smaller “gigs” than full freelance services, check out Fiverr. Fiverr is a global marketplace where you can offer to do tasks and services at $5 per job.
Read the article How to Make Money and Use Fiverr for Your Business.
RELATED: How to Succeed on Elance
4. Be a Q & A guru
You can also earn money online by answering questions. There are sites such as Cha-Cha that hires guides to answer questions from its users. You may be paid as low as $0.10-$0.20 per question, but it adds up the more questions you answer. Cha-cha, however, is currently not recruiting new guides http://becomeaguide.chacha.com/. In the meantime, check out similar sites such as kgbanswers.com and JustAnswer.com.
5. Mechanical Turk
Run by Amazon.com, Mechanical Turk is a marketplace for tasks that computers cannot complete known as HITS or Human Intelligence Tasks. Some of the tasks include extraction of purchased items from a shopping receipt, copying texts from business cards, search ranking of URLs, finding wholesaler contact information, among others. Rewards range from $0.01 to $50 or higher for tasks requiring certifications or master qualifications.
Recommended Books on How to Earn Money Online:
- How to Make Money Online: Learn how to make money from home with my step-by-step plan to build a $5000 per month passive income website portfolio (of … each) (THE MAKE MONEY FROM HOME LIONS CLUB)
- Make Money Online in 2014 and Beyond: Ways to Earn $1,000+ Every Month
- Make Money Online: 101+ Ways To Earn Money Online! (Work From Home)
- Make Money Online – 10 Ways to Make $500 Extra Per Month
- How to Work from Home and Make Money Online Fast: Mom and Dad Making Internet Income at Home to Earn Extra Cash Now
- Top 10 Ecommerce Mistakes
- 12-Step Template to Write an Effective Sales Letter
- Pros and Cons of Financing a Business
- How to Earn Money on the Web
- Book: The Last Chance Millionaire