QUESTION ON Working at Home
Over 5 months ago, I relocated to another state. Since 1993, I’ve been working from home on a part-time basis with my business while working full-time. How do I reach my goal to work from home full-time?
Unfortunately, there is no “correct” answer to give you. It takes drive and determination to make a home-based business a reality. One of the things that I have found is that by working full time, you are “allowing” yourself to not put in the hours necessary for marketing yourself and your business … since you have an income to fall back on. Can you cut down? Whereby forcing yourself to make the business a reality?
For marketing, I always advice to look in front of your nose before trying to go national on the internet. I started by volunteering to do a church website in my area. From there, I did a web design for my husband through his job at the University. That led to two other contracts for designs within his department with more waiting in the wings. Do some volunteering for local organizations, be seen and heard within your chamber of commerce or other local groups. Time and time again I hear that word of mouth is the best advertising around!
Check out various organizations specifically for Virtual Assistants. Most of these organizations have referral network, giving you the opportunity to bid on jobs that come directly from the people looking for VA’s! Not only that, some of these websites and organizations have a very active member’s only communities … others in the same “boat” as you, sharing ideas and information and occasionally clients!
If you want more information on marketing yourself on the web, check out “Guerrilla Marketing for Home-Based Business” or Marcia Yudkin’s great books (www.yudkin.com).
Best to you,
Recommended Resources on Working at Home
- Work at Home Now: The No-nonsense Guide to Finding Your Perfect Home-based Job, Avoiding Scams, and Making a Great Living
- Working from Home
- Best Home Businesses for People 50+
- 101 Businesses You Can Start With Less Than One Thousand Dollars: For Stay-at-Home Moms and Dads
- Starting a Business Part-Time or Full Time
- Top 10 Ways to Earn Money at Home
- How Virtual Reality Can Be Used in Marketing a Business
- Be a Grant Writer and Start a Grant Writing Business
- 5 Home Business Myths and Realities