QUESTION ON Want to Start a Business, Where Do I Start?
I am an artist, was a psychotherapist, taught art to kids and seniors, have a business degree as well. I am 47, divorced and want to start a home business. I am lost as to what to do. I really want to start a business, but where do I start? Please can you help?
Advice by Tammy Harrison
Passion, passion and more passion. Find WHAT you are passionate about FIRST! What is it that you like to do so much that you would bring it into your house — the place where you live and want to work? THAT is the key to finding a home-based business and to making it a success.
Start with a list — write down all of the things you are passionate about. With that list, write down the things that you could do within those passions. For instance, I liked to communicate via email, and knew that whatever I chose, it had to include that form of communication. One day, while surfing the web, I noticed the ads that were everywhere and decided I loved selling and could sell ads online — which fit with my entire list of passions! I get to *talk* to people everyday, I get to enjoy sales and I get to do it all at my own pace (or, as the case may be, at the pace of my children).
Take a look at the process Michael Reagan, who previously won as a Small Business Entrepreneur of the Year in his state from the U.S. Small Business Administration, followed when he chose his business. He spent six months trying to research what he wants to do, and writes all the characteristics of the business that he wants to start. Read the article How to Choose a Profitable Business: 3-Step Process.
An example for you could be that you love art. What can you do, from home, with that passion? If you wanted to work via the internet, you could start by drawing and selling clipart! If you wanted to work out of your home on paintings, you could offer commissioned paintings to local interior designers and their clients! There are SO MANY opportunities to take this type of passion to all new areas of interest!
So, first sit down and take some time to find what you truly like to do. I suggest reading the following articles as well:
- How to Develop Money-Making Ideas
- What Business to Start: Evaluating Business Ideas
- A.J. Wasserstein: Success Starts with the Right Choice of Business
- How to Choose the Best Home Business to Start
- Hard Knock’s Guide to Selecting a Business
From there, follow the suggested guidelines for creating a home business of your dreams!
Best of luck,
Recommended Resources on How To Start a Business
- Start Your Own Business, Fifth Edition: The Only Start-Up Book You’ll Ever Need
- The Small Business Start-Up Kit: A Step-by-Step Legal Guide
- So, You Want to Start a Business?: 8 Steps to Take Before Making the Leap
- Become Your Own Boss in 12 Months: A Month-by-Month Guide to a Business that Works
Article originally published in January 2001. Updated March 4, 2012
Tammy Harrison is a successful home-based working mom for over five years. She holds a degree from Mizzou in Consumer Economics. Her business focuses on Marketing and Creativity for Small Businesses as well as numerous other small businesses.
- Making the Decision to Start a Home Business
- Is Your Passion for Work and Business Fizzling Out?
- Passion: Critical Element of Business Success
- Start a Business With Very Little Money
- Passion and the Independent Retail Owner