QUESTION ON How to Open a Beauty Salon Business
I want to start a Beauty Salon but do not know how to go about it. I do have family that are currently running a business in Pretoria, South Africa and they are very keen to help me with it. I have worked in this line of business for over 3 years and know what it all entails, and have decided to go on my own. But I do not know were to start researching. I would like to know were to find this research and what you think of the business venture
Advice by Tammy Harrison
Since you are not in the U.S., I am not going to address issues of laws and ordinances that are necessary to set up a business. But, please be aware and consult a legal expert so that you go about properly setting up your business.
And, you’ve come to the right place because I was a cosmetologist in another life – that would be my life before kids!
There are two facets to a salon location that you need to keep in mind when determining where to start your business. The first is if you already have a good clientele and the second is if you will be relying on walk-ins for your income. If you have a good following, you will want a location that is convenient to them. If you are relying on foot-traffic you will need to locate somewhere that gets a lot of traffic.
Next, you’ll need to plan the layout of your salon. Will you just have one chair? Will you hire other cosmetologists? Will you rent out space for other cosmetologists? In my experience, women go to the salon to enjoy some relaxation – and getting their hair done is second on the list. Make sure that your layout is condusive to relaxation and open so that women can visit with each other. Everything that you need with regard to your supplies should be within arms reach at all times so that you do not waste time on fetching things as time is money!
Then you will need to determine what bookkeeping system you will use. I prefer Quickbooks software, and many accounting and legal professionals here recommend it as well. You have the ability to track all of your inventory as well as sales. The program allows you to generate reports at any given time so you know where you stand financially.
Finally, your marketing campaign should be established. Will you announce your grand opening in the local newspaper? On radio? Plan a big open house party, bring in as many people as you can and network with anyone and everyone. Make a big splash and a big impression, and have some of your best customers there to show off your talents. Donate gift certificates to local charities, making sure you have catchy business cards to hand out. Go to as many social functions as you can so that you are seen and heard with potential customers.
I suggest you also read the following articles:
- How to Start a Hair and Salon Business
- Hair and Beauty Salon Business Plan
- Draw Customers With Cutting-Edge Salon Design And Style
- Custom Design Salon Apparel
- Personal Care Products For Beauty Salons
- Salon Management Software for your iPhone or iPad
Be confident, make a business plan and have fun!
Recommended Resources on How to Open a Beauty Salon Business
- Start Your Own Hair Salon and Day Spa
- Start and Run a Successful Beauty Salon: A Comprehensive Guide to Managing or Acquiring Your Own Salon
- Milady’s Guide to Owning and Operating a Nail Salon
- Open Your Own Salon… The Right Way!: A step-by-step guide to planning, launching & managing your own salon or nail bar business
Article originally published in October 2000. Updated February 15, 2012Tammy Harrison is a successful home-based working mom for over five years. She holds a degree from Mizzou in Consumer Economics. Her business focuses on Marketing and Creativity for Small Businesses as well as numerous other small businesses.
- How to Start a Hair and Beauty Salon Business
- Stylist to Salon Owner: 5 Helpful Tips for Making the Big Move
- How to Start a Tanning Salon Business — With Nothing?
- 19 Low-Cost Business Ideas for Small Towns that are in Demand
- Getting a Loan to Buy a Business
a WordPress rating system
a WordPress rating system