QUESTION on How to Advertise Your Home Business
I have just recently been unemployed from a job I held for 12 years. I was the head of technical support for a small software company. I had many job duties and wore many different hats. I decided instead of going out to try and find a new job, I would start my own home business. We have a real need in our community and surrounding communities for Technical Computer Assistance to small businesses, personal home computers, schools, etc. My current employer is a pretty big customer right now, I have also just landed a pretty large school district. However, I know these are not long term jobs and to keep the business growing I need to do some advertising. What are the best areas to advertise in? The other question is, how do I know when it is time to bring another consultant into the business to send them out on jobs. I see a time (very soon) when I cannot be in 2 places at one time, but I also want the business to grow. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
ANSWER by Yvonne Buchanan
Congratulations on choosing a business that fills a real need: that’s half the battle.
The other half is letting your market know you’re here. It sounds like you have landed a couple of big fish already. Where did they come from? Can you tap that source for more customers? Can you tap your current customers for referrals?
Try to gauge who your target customers are (the type of customers you’ll most likely get 80% of your business from). Then be where they are. If they belong to a specific industry, attend industry trade shows; join industry organizations; network. (Never leave home without your business card.)
As for when to hire, you’ll probably know. It will be when you’re working 80-hour weeks and you can’t remember what your family looks like. You may want to bring someone in sooner rather than later and ask him or her to work part-time or on an as-needed basis for a while.
Good luck, Beth. Let us know how it goes.
Other Resources on How to Advertise Your Home Business
- 50 Free or Low Cost Ways to Market Your Small Business
- How to Market a New Local Business on a Shoestring Budget
- 60 Time-Tested Marketing Offers
- Choosing the Right Advertising Medium for Your Small Business/li>
Recommended Books on How To Advertise Your Home Business:
- How to Promote Your Home Business: Free, Easy & Low-Cost Ways to Market Any Enterprise
- How to Advertise Your Greetings Card Business on Facebook and Twitter: How Social Media Could Help Boost Your Business
- The Truth About Networking: Quick Business Networking Essentials, The Facts You Should Know
- How to Start a Wedding Planning Business
Article originally published January 2006. Updated on January 21, 2012
Yvonne Buchanan is a 20-year veteran of public relations, marketing and advertising. She teaches public relations courses online for career changers, freelancers and students through The PR Academy www.learnpr.com and is co-founder of Real-World PR www.realworldpr.com , a public relations information provider for small businesses. Real-World PR offers public relations toolkits (manual/CD combinations) that allow small business owners to create and maintain their own public relations programs.
- When is the Best Time to Advertise a Service Business?
- What is the Most Effective Way to Advertise?
- Top 9 Reasons Why You Should Advertise
- How to Research Your Market on a Tight Budget
- Advertising Campaigns that Get Result