If you are running a pet sitting business, one of your main challenges is to get the customer to choose YOUR pet sitting business, and not your competitors.
You go to Craigslist or online local directories and chances are that you will find several pet sitting businesses. Some of these businesses may be large, even franchises, while others may be a one-person business. Some of these pet businesses may be offering the same types of services that you are offering in your own business, such as mid-day dog walks, weekend and after-hours dog walks, vacation visits, overnights stays and other specific types of services.
The first step in marketing your pet sitting business is to develop a brand.
What is a Brand?
A brand can come in the form of a name, sign, term, symbol, design or any combination of these. It is what sets your pet sitting business apart from your competition and convinces customers that yours is the only pet sitting business that can meet their needs.
Brands can speak for your pet sitting business in short, memorable terms. It represents what your business is about its potential to deliver its service. Increasing credibility, motivation to buy, customer loyalty and emotional connections with buyers can all be achieved by creating the perfect brand for your business. In many respects, a brand is a representation of potential customers’ experiences with your pet sitting business and can influence the perception of it within the market and in potential customers’ eyes.
How Do You Define Your Pet Sitting Business Brand?
Consider what your pet sitting business has to offer your target market and how it stands out from the competition. Ask yourself these questions:
- Who is your target market comprised of? What are their wants and needs? How does your pet sitting business meet these wants and needs when others can’t? Consider the pet sitting services that you are willing to provide your target market that others do or will not.
- What specializations does your company have? Do you care for exotic pets or specific breeds of animals?
- What are your pet sitting company’s goal, mission and values? How are they similar to your target markets? Is your business’ main goal to provide quality pet sitting services for the elderly? Is your mission to provide green, healthy pet sitting care? Are you dedicated to treating pets as valued companions?
- What sets your marketing apart from your competitors? Think about taglines, logos and designs.
How to Create a Unique Customer Experience
Take what’s unique about your pet sitting business and find a way to present or deliver it in an uncommon way. Hypothetically, you could leave each of your customers a detailed package that explains the best ways they can take care of their pet’s health – that would definitely be a unique customer experience.
RELATED: 10 Pet Small Business Ideas
However, if you don’t have the time or writing skills, you may just want to decide on a presentation or delivery that is doable and appealing for both business owner and customer. Think about what you can give your pet sitting customers during service that will “wow” them and anyone else who they’ll talk about your services with.
How to Use Your Brand in Your Marketing
Understand that your brand acts as a promise to your customers. It represents both an ideal and your business. That being said, you need to infuse your brand into as many of your marketing materials as you can. Put your brand on your pet sitting business cards, on signs and posters, on electronic advertisements, websites and anywhere else where people can see it and logically connect the brand to your pet sitting business.
Recommended Books on Starting and Marketing a Pet Sitting Business:
- Six-Figure Pet Sitting: Catapult Your Pet Sitting Business to Unlimited Success
- How To Open & Operate a Financially Successful Pet Sitting Business: With Companion CD-ROM (How to Open and Operate a Financially Successful…)
- 101-A: Pet Sitting Business: Workbook to Conquer Success”, designed specifically to assist you in successfully developing and running your very own professional pet sitting service. (Volume 1)
- The Real Poop Scoop on Pet Sitting: Create Financial Freedom Playing With Pets!
- Pet Sitting for Profit
- How to Develop a Brand: Case of a Pet Sitting Business
- Choosing and Marketing Your Brand
- 5 Pet Business Ideas You Can Start from Home
- Brand Building Strategies for Small Businesses
- The Experience Effect: Engage Your Customers with a Consistent and Memorable Brand Experience