QUESTION ON Advertising
I am starting a tax consulting business. My services are going to be individual and business tax, payroll tax, bookkeeping and general business consulting. I would like to know when you think the best time to start advertising for such services?
– Alan Rose
The best time to start advertising is yesterday!
Depending on how far out you are with opening your business, you can start telling people about it at social functions, church and anywhere you may find potential clients. I have found that the best way to approach people is to join them in conversation and let THEM do the talking – ask them questions, stroke their ego, etc.
It is never too early or too late to advertise! The more you get your name out and about, the more people will have it in their memory and when they need your services – you will be fresh in their minds and maybe the first that they call!
I suggest you read the article How to Market a New Local Business on a Shoestring Budget.
Recommended Resources on Best Time To advertise
- How to Advertise, Third Edition
- 105 Ways To Advertise Your Business: 105 Small Business Marketing Ideas To Effectively Promote And Publicize Your Business To Garner The Attention It Needs To Succeed
- How to Advertise and Promote Your Retail Store
- The Marketing Plan Workbook (Sunday Times Business Enterprise Guide)
Article originally published in April 2004. Updated March 5, 2012
Tammy Harrison is a successful home-based working mom for over five years. She holds a degree from Mizzou in Consumer Economics. Her business focuses on Marketing and Creativity for Small Businesses as well as numerous other small businesses.
- What is the Most Effective Way to Advertise?
- How to Inexpensively Market a Wedding Invitation Business
- How to Advertise Your Home Business
- Top 9 Reasons Why You Should Advertise
- How to Advertise a Band for Low or No-Cost?