QUESTION on How to Start An Online Jewelry Store
I am a housewife and I want to increase my family’s income. I am thinking of selling jewelry on the Web. Are online stores really making a lot of money? I am wondering if I can make a lot of cash quick if I start a website store selling jewelry. My family needs the money right now so I am hoping to get some cash fast
ANSWER by Isabel Isidro
It is true that an online store can make money selling jewelry. However, it is NOT a get-rich scheme and you may be disappointed to find that starting an online jewelry store will not make you a lot of cash quick. Unfortunately, it doesn’t always work that work.
To succeed selling on the Web, there are a number of things to consider, such as:
1. An online store needs traffic, lots of targeted traffic interested to buy.
Traffic is something you cannot build overnight. So if you are looking for an online store to make money quick, then you might find yourself waiting for a single order in 6 months.
In order to sell something, you need to have something to sell. Where are you going to get your products? Do you have the capital to buy your inventory?
3. An online store requires investment.
You will need to create a website (if you don’t know how, then you will have to buy a template or pay someone to build you one) — all of which requires money. You will need to get a merchant account to be able to process credit card payments; if not, you can use online payment processors such as Paypal or 2CheckOut. You need to either buy or license a shopping cart system, SSL for secured ordering, etc. You need to have a good camera and photographic know-how as jewelry is very hard to capture well on film — in ecommerce, product presentation is extremely important (visitors must be able to see your products well and judge its quality from their computer screens)
4. You must have a product that consumers want.
Opening an online store is not a guarantee that you will make money if you do not have any products that people would actually want. What makes your jewelry so special that people will buy from you, and not from the more established online jewelry stores? Jewelry is a product that entails a lot of trust and you need to overcome this type of thinking of most people — “I can buy a book from anywhere because I know I will be getting a book; but if I buy jewelry from a less trusted source who knows if I will get a fake?”
If you want to start selling online, online auction sites such as eBay or Etsy.com could serve as a test market for your business. This will allow you to get a better understanding of the ecommerce process — from creating product presentations that sells, to processing payments, to shipping and fulfillment. If you have little resources at this time, eBay or Etsy.com could provide a cheaper alternative to selling on your own ecommerce website.
Recommended Books on the How to Start an Online Jewelry Store:
- Start Your Own Fashion Accessories Business
- 101 Ways to Market Your Online Jewelry Shop: Free and Cheap Ways to Market, Promote, Advertise, and Increase Traffic to Your Online or Etsy Jewelry Shop and Sell Your Jewelry Now
- Virtual Vintage: The Insider’s Guide to Buying and Selling Fashion Online
- How to Start an Online Jewelry Store Plus Business Plan
Article originally published January 2006. Updated on January 21, 2012
- 5 Tips for a Successful Ecommerce Website Design
- When to Use Paypal to Accept Online Payments
- How to Make Money with Drop Shipping in 2016
- How a Retiree Can Start an Online Business
- How to Succeed in Designing Jewelry