QUESTION on How to Succeed in the Personal Care Products Business
I have started a business partnering with a wholesale company that distributes unique products people use in their homes: beauty aid, soap, shampoo, supplements, laundry products and much more. However, I am finding that I cannot reach people here in NY trying to sell my personal care products. I try to find bulletins and give out flyers but nothing works. Can you help me jumpstart my personal care products business?
– Shirley (Buffalo, New York)
Remember the old ad slogan, “I’d rather fight than switch”?
Brand loyalty among personal care products is fierce. People are willing to try new things, however, provided the “new things” come to them for free. That’s why you find so many perfume and lotion samples in women’s magazines and can’t get through Macy’s without being doused in cologne.
Consider giving out free samples of your products. Avon was so successful with this that they never stopped! Free samples come with every order. Provided you have a quality product, you should have no trouble developing brand loyalty, and then it will be hard to get your customers to switch from you!
Another strategy is to consider what major cosmetics companies do. Big businesses such as Estee Lauder and Clinique regularly give free samples of their products for a certain amount of product purchase.
Pick your best product, provide it in a trial size, and follow up with discounted coupons for the first order, and you’ve got your loyal customers. And take a cue from Avon: include free samples of other products with every order you fulfill.
Go get ’em, Shirley, and let us know how it goes!
Recommended Books on Personal Care Products Business:
- How to Sell Health and Beauty Products on eBay (Entrepreneur Pocket Guides)
- Creating an Herbal Bodycare Business (Making a Living Naturally)
- Natural Beauty Basics : Create Your Own Cosmetics and Body Care Products
- Making Aromatherapy Creams and Lotions: 101 Natural Formulas to Revitalize & Nourish Your Skin
Article originally published September 2001. Updated on January 22, 2012
Yvonne Buchanan is a 20-year veteran of public relations, marketing and advertising. She teaches public relations courses online for career changers, freelancers and students through The PR Academy www.learnpr.com and is co-founder of Real-World PR www.realworldpr.com , a public relations information provider for small businesses. Real-World PR offers public relations toolkits (manual/CD combinations) that allow small business owners to create and maintain their own public relations programs.
- How to Start a Hair and Beauty Salon Business
- The Lawn Care and Landscaping Services Industry
- 3 Critical Factors to Succeed In Multi-Level Marketing
- How to Foster Loyalty and Get Repeat Customers for Your Online Business
- How Great Managers Capture Profit Pools