I would like to know how we can grow our business to $100,000 per year in the janitorial and carpet cleaning business.
ANSWER by Yvonne Buchanan
It’s difficult to answer your question without knowing where you are now. Going from $0 in sales to $100K/year is a difficult proposition at best, but if you’re at $50K and want to double your business, consider the following:
Turn each customer into a referral. Offer an incentive to each of your customers (10% off? Free movie tickets?, a check for $20?) for each referral they send your way that signs on as a new client.
Determine where your clients are coming from, then turn that into your target market. Once you have a target market, you can focus your advertising, marketing and public relations efforts there.
Flyers, cold calls, advertisements in local or trade publications, sales letters, etc. can be used to good effect.
Consider performing a survey of your target market: Find out what they like and don’t like about their current janitorial service provider. Then make sure you offer what they want.
If you are persistent, consistent and provide sparkling service, you should be mopping the floor with your competition in no time. Best of luck, Stephen. Let us know how it goes.
For detailed information on how to grow your janitorial business, read the article How to Market and Run a Janitorial Business or Cleaning Service
Recommended Resources on Starting a Janitorial Service Business:
- Start Your Own Cleaning Business
- Jump Into Janitorial: How to build a cleaning business netting over six figures a year.
- Owning and Operating a Sucessful Cleaning Business in less than a Week: Everything You Need To Know In Simple, Easy Steps
- How to Open & Operate a Financially Successful Cleaning Service: With Companion CD – ROM
Yvonne Buchanan is a 20-year veteran of public relations, marketing and advertising. She teaches public relations courses online for career changers, freelancers and students through The PR Academy www.learnpr.com and is co-founder of Real-World PR www.realworldpr.com , a public relations information provider for small businesses. Real-World PR offers public relations toolkits (manual/CD combinations) that allow small business owners to create and maintain their own public relations programs.
- Starting a Janitorial Business or Cleaning Service
- How to Market and Run a Janitorial Business or Cleaning Service
- Top 10 Home Businesses with Rapid Break-Even Time (Part 2)
- Expand a Janitorial Cleaning Business
- Small Business: Cleaning Up Your Act