Technology has been purported to be able to “save the world”, but in today’s economy many companies fall behind their competitors when they stop innovating and automating business processes with technology to stay ahead of the game. Tony Ciotti, long-time corporate technology consultant says the obvious is always overlooked to the detriment of many budgets. The answer is simple, he says, “Define the methodology first… that can save a company tens, even hundreds, of thousands of dollars.”
Tips for Implementing Technology
Ciotti gives 2 points of key advice for corporations implementing a new platform or technology that can save tremendous amounts of money and resources:
1) Before you buy software or even have software custom designed, first discover what methods and techniques that have consistently shown results superior than those achieved with other means, and which are used as benchmarks to strive for. This can help you ensure what you buy or build will be usable.
2) Focus on the final outcome of what you want the technology to do, but first also focus on the operational, marketing and developmental inputs to these. This can help provide a more comprehensive view of a business, which in turn helps organizations act in their best long-term interests.
“It might sound like common sense – actually, it probably is common sense,” says Tony, “but I will tell you that I have seen my fair share of companies, from small businesses to Fortune 100 companies that ignored this common sense.”
After years of consulting entrepreneurs and megacorps, Tony said he kept being asked to write a blog with advice and answers to the daily questions that he gets. In response he began his foray into the blogosphere via www.tonyciotti.com
“I know there will be varying opinions and viewpoints as different issues are discussed,” said Ciotti. “I encourage the varying viewpoints to be shared, because we can all learn something new and benefit from looking at things in different ways.
Recommended Books on Implementing Technology:
- Information Technology for Small Business: Managing the Digital Enterprise
- The Chasm Companion: Implementing Effective Marketing Strategies for High-Technology Companies
- Converge: Transforming Business at the Intersection of Marketing and Technology
- Harvard Business Review on Aligning Technology with Strategy
- Starting a Tech Business: A Practical Guide for Anyone Creating or Designing Applications or Software
- How Do You Know if Your Product Will Sell Online?
- How to Succeed Online with a Niche Business: Case of RedWagons.com
- 8 Lessons in Managing Large Accounts
- A Home-Based Marketer’s Guide to Referral Software
- Does Owning a Business Mean Longer Working Hours?