How do you feel about where you are in your life? Consider this; where you are in this very moment of reading this article is the summation of all the choices that you have made up to this point. That’s the good news and the “bad news” It’s a sobering idea, isn’t it?
What this means is that if you aren’t happy with some aspects of your life then on some level you have chosen the results you have!
Wow, this is powerful to know and to consider. We are always one decision away from moving TOWARDS or AWAY from what we desire. It is really that simple.
I recently read a wonderful book by Debbie Ford called The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions To Guide You To An Extraordinary Life. Debbie highlights 10 important questions to ask yourself:
- Will this choice propel me toward an inspiring future or will it keep me stuck in the past?
- Will this choice bring me long-term fulfillment or short-term gratification?
- Am I standing in my power or am I trying to please another?
- Am I looking for what’s right or am I looking for what’s wrong?
- Will this choice add to my life force or will it rob me of my energy?
- Will I use this situation as a catalyst to grow and evolve or will I use it to beat myself up?
- Does this choice empower me or does it dis-empower me?
- Is this an act of self-love or is it an act of self-sabotage?
- Is this an act or faith or an act of fear?
- Am I choosing from my Divinity or am I choosing from my humanity?
All ten questions are excellent, but I found this question to be extremely useful and potent. The question is: Does this choice empower me or disempower me? Each time you contemplate a decision, ask “will this choice empower or disempower me?” This answer will keep you focused and on track!
I have a wonderful client who expressed her desire to be optimally fit and healthy. She elaborated that although this goal is extremely important to her she tended to sabotage herself by choosing to not follow through on such things as consistent exercise. Her assignment? To ask herself the ultimate truth telling question, “Does this choice empower me or disempower me” when she had the urge to skip her exercise class. She took the challenge, and believe it or not, we bumped into each other at a power yoga class. We both had made empowering decisions that Sunday evening! High 5’s all around! Our thoughts, our decisions and our actions directly influence our outcomes. That’s big.
Our thoughts influence our actions and that directly influences our outcomes. We always have NOW to change the course of our life. Pay attention to those rogue, negative thoughts that pop into your mind, (you know the type: An Excuse: “Being heavy runs in my family, why bother dieting?” or a Negative Expectation e.g. “It’s probably never going to get any better than this, there’s nothing I can do.” or Resignation: “My hands are tied, I give in” You get the idea!
The next time ask yourself how does thinking this thought serve me? Am I empowering or disempowering myself? Then make a decision that can change your life. Do what empowers you! My request to you is to make the choices that will serve you in the highest possible way. See you at the top! Our thoughts are designers of our destiny.” Debbie Ford
About the Author:
Success Coach and Speaker, Diana Long, is the President of the Life Design Institute. Diana can help you transform your dreams into reality and give you the shortcuts to success with her variety of life-changing programs and products. Learn more about Diana by visiting her website at www.DianaLong.com
- The Mormon Way of Doing Business: Leadership and Success Through Faith and Family
- How to Start Your Own Virtual Assistant Business
- How to Become More Successful by Getting Rid of Everything Rotten in Your Life
- 5 Keys to Creating a Positive Mindset to Achieve Success
- Luck By Design: Living and Working with Purpose