QUESTION ON Starting a Web Design Business
I visited your site, needless to say it is great. I am a fresh, MBA, willing to be an entrepreneur, but I don’t know what to start, please guide me. I am interested in web designing. How can i start this business??? Kindly help. Awaiting your reply-
– Irfan Shaikh, Bombay
Advice by Tammy Harrison
I have found that the best way to be seen and heard in the eCommerce world, in the beginning, was to give away my time and expertise with website designs. I found a couple of local businesses who were interested in having a website and I volunteered my services. This lead to the classic “word of mouth” free advertising and before I knew it I was handling large sites for small businesses as well as a steady flow of design contracts from our local University. With those references satisfied and happy, I was able to market my design services on the internet and pick up more clients as well as webmaster opportunities.
With a lot of research in the eCommerce, Marketing, IT and web design fields I believe I have mastered most everything small businesses need to have an online presence. If I contract with someone to do something that I am not an expert in (such as Java Script, Perl, etc.) then I cut my fee in half because of the imminent learning curve.
All of this experience (on a part time basis) will eventually lead to more opportunities–and all without spending any money on marketing!
Take the time to continue with your education through research and get involved in your local community. Those two things are imperative no matter what entrepreneurial direction you go.
Also read the article Starting a Web Design Business for additional information.
Best of luck.
Recommended Resources on How To Start a Web Design Business
- How to Start a Home-Based Web Design Business, 4th (Home-Based Business Series)
- How to Open & Operate a Financially Successful Web Site Design Business: With Companion CD – ROM
- Starting Your Career as a Freelance Web Designer (Starting Your Career)
- The Complete Idiot’s Guide to Starting a Web-Based Business
Article originally published in April 2004. Updated February 25, 2012
Tammy Harrison is a successful home-based working mom for over five years. She holds a degree from Mizzou in Consumer Economics. Her business focuses on Marketing and Creativity for Small Businesses as well as numerous other small businesses.
- Starting a Web Design Business
- Is Web Design Really Important For Small Business Websites?
- Overcoming Web Design Limitations in Small Businesses
- Web Design & Digital Marketing: The Important Role of Creativity
- Best Ways to Present Web Page Design & Get Better Client Feedback