Project Management Professional (PMP) certified individuals are growing in number thanks to the evolving business world around us.
A PMP certified is a person that leads and directs project teams to deliver results within a specific time frame. Thousands of candidates prepare and appear for a PMP exam but only a few reign supreme and find glory.
If you’re wanting to get a PMP certification then you need to know about PMP exam and how to win it. Without much ado, let’s have a look at some of the most common questions regarding PMP certification:
Who Is Eligible?
To be eligible, a candidate needs to have the required qualification as well as the required experience. Here’s how it works:
- If You Are A High School Diploma Or Associate Degree Holder: If you belong to this category then you need to have at least 5 years of non-overlapping experience of working in a professional project management Apart from this, 7500 hours out of your work experience should be spent on leading and directing project teams towards a project. As for the education part, you need to have at least 35 hours of PDUs (formal education).
- If Your Are A Bachelor’s Or Equivalent Degree Holder: If you happen to hold a bachelor’s degree then you need to have at least 3 years of non-overlapping experience of working in a professional project management environment. Also, 4500 hours out of your work experience should be spent on leading and directing project teams towards a project. The education contact hours criteria are the same, 35 hours.
What Does Non-Overlapping Work Experience Mean?
Nonoverlapping experience means that if the candidate has worked on two or more projects simultaneously, the work experience of those two projects will be counted as 1.
Here’s how it works:
Suppose in 2016, you worked on two projects at one time. Let’s say your first project started from Jan’16 and ended on June’16. While your second project started in April’16 and ended on September’16.
Now you see there’s an overlapping between the two projects for 3 months (April, May, and June). So according to PMP rules, these 3 months will only be considered for the first project. Hence, your second project will only be counted as for 3 months, and not 6.
For How Many Years Is Your Work Experience Valid Until You Apply?
The work experience that you submit with your application process should be within the last 8 consecutive years right before you file an application. Meaning, there shouldn’t be any gap and you should have worked for 8 years straight without sitting on the bench.
Any Other Ways To Apply For PMP Exam Other Than Online?
Before 2015, candidates were allowed to submit hard copy applications to be eligible for giving a PMP test. However, Project Management Institute (PMI) discontinued that rule and now the only way to apply for a PMP certification is online. Find more inforamtion on how you can get your PMP Certification .
What’s The Fee?
If you’re a PMI member then:
- For a computer-based exam, the fee is $405.
- For a paper-based exam, the fee is $250.
If you’re not a member then:
- For a computer-based exam, the fee is $555.
- For a paper-based exam, the fee is $400.
- Project Management Best Practices
- Growing Your Business by Outsourcing to Freelance Marketplaces
- Project Management 101
- 8 Lessons in Managing Large Accounts
- How to Find the Right Professional to Value Your Business
a WordPress rating system
a WordPress rating system