QUESTION ON Starting a Home Repair Service
HI! My name is Anthony. My question is I would like some information on how to start a handyman business or home repair Service from home . I have 15 years doing handyman work. I would like to know about licenses, insurance and loan. Should I start out as a sole proprietor or incorporate. Please point me in the right direction. Thank you. —
Advice by Tammy Harrison
The first thing I suggest is going down to your county offices and asking for assistance from one of the people there. They have worked with small businesses many times and are sure to have access to whatever info you need. They can also tell you what steps you need to follow.
Most construction companies incorporate. This allows them a safety net for liability if they are ever in a legal problem. This takes a little more paper shuffle than just a d/b/a, but, truly offers more protection in the end. If you do a little searching on the internet for your state offices (that should be a .gov address), you should be able to find out all of the information you need to know about incorporating your business. Start with our State by State Guide to Starting a Business to find specific instructions on how to start a business in your state.
Take the time to visit with a local business attorney and income tax/accounting professional in your area, as well. If you set the whole company up correctly in the beginning, you should be eliminating any problems with such down the road.
Also look at getting bonded and insured. A home repair service – where you will go to the homes of your customers – will significantly benefit from being bonded and insured. Read our article Startups and Surety Bonds: Does Your Small Business Have to be Bonded? for information on how to get your business bonded.
I suggest you read our other articles on starting a handyman business:
- How to Start a Handyman Business
- What You Need to Startup a Handyman Business
- Marketing a Handyman Business
- Challenges When Starting a Handyman Business
- Tips to Succeed in the Handyman Business
Best to you
Recommended Books on How To Start a Home Repair Business
- Handyman’s Handbook : The Complete Guide to Starting and Running a Successful Business
- Building Your Successful Handyman Business: A guide to starting and operating a profitable contracting business
- The Handyman Business Guide To Success: Setting Your Hourly Rates, Estimating Handyman Jobs, Marketing, Licensing, Insurance And More!
- Start & Run a Handyman Business
Article originally published in April 2002. Updated February 25, 2012
Tammy Harrison is a successful home-based working mom for over five years. She holds a degree from Mizzou in Consumer Economics. Her business focuses on Marketing and Creativity for Small Businesses as well as numerous other small businesses.