QUESTION ON Starting a Printing Business From Home
I am interested in starting my own printing Business, such as wedding programs, funeral Programs, personalized Birthday Cards, Banners, Buttons, Family Reunion Booklets, etc. I would like to know how to get started. What do you Suggest?
Advice by Tammy Harrison
The first thing I would do is to find out if there is a demand for printing in your local community. Since word-of-mouth is really the best and least expensive way to market yourself and your business, it would be an excellent start if your services were needed in your own area.
Then, I would conduct research on what you would need by way of equipment for your projects. What type of printer? What type of paper goods would be necessary to have on hand? See if you can find a mentor, or someone who is in the business that you are thinking of starting and see if you can pick their brain to find out the ins and outs of what you are interested in.
Additionally, you will need your own marketing materials. Business cards for yourself? Brochures? A website? You will have to decide how you want to market your business, and be prepared for whatever types of ways to get your name heard.
Take some time to set your business up right, do your research and get to work! That’s truly the best advice I have for anyone who is stepping out on their own! Be ready for anything! Wishing you home-based business success!
Wishing you the best,
Recommended Resources on How To Start a Printing Business
- How To Start And Run A Small Book Publishing Company: A Small Business Guide To Self-Publishing And Independent Publishing
- Print Liberation: The Screen Printing Primer
- Start Your Own Screen-Printing Business: A User’s Guide to Printing and Selling T-shirts
- Handmade Nation: The Rise of DIY, Art, Craft, and Design
Article originally published in Jan 2002. Updated February 19, 2012
Tammy Harrison is a successful home-based working mom for over five years. She holds a degree from Mizzou in Consumer Economics. Her business focuses on Marketing and Creativity for Small Businesses as well as numerous other small businesses.
- How to Start a Business?
- Gathering Information For Your Business Plan
- How to Select a Color Laser Printer for Your Home Office
- Starting an Information Broker Service
- Starting a Craft and Gift Shop for a New Mom!