I come from a place where culture does not allow for businesses such as adult day care to thrive. Children are supposed to look after their aging parents, and to hand over the responsibility to an organization or business is frowned upon by the society. Hence, there are hardly any adult daycares or nursing homes, for that matter.
Nonetheless, in the United States, adult day cares are growing and thriving. The aging of the baby boomers is ensuring that this business has high demand. Adult day cares typically are an alternative to traditional nursing homes, and service is aimed to be more personal and cost is more affordable.
Typical clientele include elderly men and women who cannot live safely in their own homes, but do not require the full-time skilled nursing care provided by convalescent hospitals. They are looking for minimal supervision and assistance — as well as companionship — in order to live independently as possible.
A big part of this target market are older persons with disabilities or health problems that require regular supervision. There are a number of niche markets for the adult daycare business that you can focus on, such as diagnosis-specific markets including frail elderly with no dementia.
If you are planning on starting an adult daycare business, here are some resources to help you and give you information:
- National Adult Day Services Association, Inc
- Planning and Creating Successful Adult Day Services and Other Home and Community-Based Services
- Opening an Adult Day Care Facility
- Adult Day Health Services
- Adult Day Care
- Elder Care Sample Business Plan
For in-depth information, you can check the following books:
- Standards and Guidelines Workbook: Adult Day Care (Paperback) by National Institute on Adult Daycare
- Adult Day Care: A Practical Guidebook and Manual by Lenore A. Tate
- How to Start and Operate an Elderly Adult Day-Care Center by Gwen M. Walker
- Adult day care: A basic guide by Sudie Maready Goldston
- Planning and Managing Adult Day Care: Pathways to Success by Linda Cook Webb