Welcome to Power HomeBiz Guides!

Home | About Us Contact Us | Site Map



Starting a Business
Working at Home
Financing a Business
Growing a Business
Managing a Business
Online Marketing
Business Ideas

Consult Your Guide

Consult Your Guide
Starting a Biz
Financing a Biz
Business Ideas
Marketing and Promoting
Managing & Growing a Biz
Submit a Question
Meet Your Guides 

Related Articles

How to Launch a New Business Successfully
How Much Do You Need to Start Your Small Business?
Common Start-Up Expenses of Small Businesses
When Resources Are Not Enough: What Do You Do?
How to Raise Money to Start a Business

Recommended Books

Legal Handbook for Photographers: The Rights and Liabilities of Making Images
The Business of Studio Photography: How to Start and Run a Successful Photography Studio
Asmp Professional Business Practices in Photography
Profitable Photography: Start and Run a Money-Making Business
The Practical Methodology of Forensic Photography, Second Edition

Legal Photography & Passport Photos

Q. How would I go about getting busy for legal photography, which is taking photos of accident, burn victims and I would like to get involve in the passport/ID field. Please advise. Bennie 

Advice by Tammy Harrison

(article continued below ...)
A. Dear Bennie,

As a former legal assistant, I can tell you that I keep a camera in my glove box at ALL times - always prepared to take photos of any and all accidents I came upon while driving! They are so very important, especially to the victims!

If you live anywhere near a metropolis, you may have a great idea for steady work. You basically have two options as far as who to market to. One would be the insurance companies and the other would be the lawyers. Mind you, the people who are involved in accidents are the ones who really need the service, but who would think of that at such a devastating time? Then again, you must think of who would be willing and able to pay you for your services....and I can tell you that most victims wouldn't.

If you do not have experience in this field, take some time to gain it. Get a police scanner and when you hear of an accident, go to the scene and take shots. After developing them, send a single copy to the victim (you can get a copy of the accident reports from the Police, Sheriff or Highway Patrol agencies for a nominal fee) and let them know that they should forward your name and contact information to their insurance company or legal representative.

After you have experience and a few references, as for testimonials that you can use to market with. Then, send out letters and brochures and a sample of your work to your local community insurance and/or legal firms.

As for the passport/ID photos, I am not sure you want to go this route. Most people do not plan for such and usually run into a local photo shop or copy center to do this. I'm not sure I would even try to do this. You have a great idea with the accident photos and were it me, I would work pretty hard trying to get that opportunity up and running!


About the PowerHomeBiz.com Guide: 

Tammy Harrison is a successful home-based working mom for over five years. She holds a degree from Mizzou in Consumer Economics. Her business focuses on Marketing and Creativity for Small Businesses as well as numerous other small businesses.


The opinions expressed in this column are those of the author, not of PowerHomeBiz.com. Users should not treat the Guide's response as legal, accounting, or professional advice as all answers are intended to be general in nature. Such advice can only be properly given by qualified professionals who are fully aware of a user's specific geographical areas or circumstances, such as an attorney or accountant.