- Design Your Blog to Engage Visitors and Present Content Effectively
- Increase Repeat Visitors: Enable Email Subscription with Feedburner
- Repurposing Content Works: How to Extend the Life of Your Blog Posts
One of the must-have features of blogs is an RSS feed or Really Simple Syndication, the standard for syndicating content online. RSS feeds are used to provide real-time information to those who are interested in your blog’s content.
However, not all visitors to your blog will be familiar with RSS feeds, or understand how they work. Some of your visitors will just not want to mess with using a feed reader. Luckily for you, RSS isn’t the only push-delivery method out there: email subscription is another great service you can offer our visitors.
Feedburner offer readers the opportunity to receive updates to the blog by e-mail. Its biggest benefit is that subscribers get informed of ALL the previous day’s posts, which is especially beneficial if you make multiple posts in a day. This tool addresses the concern that visitors who visited the site in the morning may not have seen important posts made in the afternoon. By sending an excerpt of all posts made during the previous day, you can re-engage the visitors and increase the possibility of them coming back to the site and checking out more pages.
The other benefits of using the email feature of Feedburner are as follows:
- Alternative way for readers to keep track all the content of your blog
- The daily updates include the following: Title of the post; and excerpts.
- Some WordPress plugins are able to work well with Feedburner’s email subscription. Yet Another Related Plugin, a related post plugin, is able to add the related content of each of the posts in the emails.
- You can choose email delivery time, and the emails will be sent automatically within that time period, even at 7 a.m., without incurring any staff time.
- Allows for branding, including adding our logo in the emails sent.
- Offers some degree of flexibility in the subject line of the email – you can choose whether you want a set title in the subject line (e.g. name of your blog) or use the title of the last post for the day.
- Traffic is measurable as it automatically includes Google Analytics tracking code.
- Offers the option of social sharing in the email (e.g. Email this, Share on Facebook, Stumble It!, etc.)
Here are the steps to start using the email delivery feature of Feedburner:
- Make sure that you have a Feedburner account.
- Burn your feeds in Feedburner. If you are using a content management system such as WordPress, you may need to use a plugin to redirect your existing feed to Feedburner.
- Under the Publicize tab, activate the email subscription feature.
- Configure the email look, branding, delivery, as well as subscription management.
- Put an email subscription signup box on your blog.
Then watch your subscriber base grow! Just keep on posting new content in your blog, and see how this tool are bringing back your subscribers to check out your posts. More repeat visitors, mean more pageviews for your blog.