There is business in divorce.
It may sound tacky or insensitive, but a number of businesses are realizing that there is a huge market out there with regards to divorce. While divorces in the United States has been decreasing since its peak a few decades ago, the number of divorces is still quite substantial.
Divorce is painful and difficult for anyone going through it, and these businesses are often geared towards helping those newly single cope with the end of their marriages and start their new lives. They start new businesses or expand their existing businesses to reach those who are undergoing a divorce or those who are already divorced.
Some of these businesses here and around the world, as well as the types of products or services they provide include:
- Great Northern Firework Company in United Kingdom commission set-piece displays that allow divorcees to say what they want to announce to the world such as “free at last.”
- Godammo.com melts wedding bands into a top of a gunpowder-free bullet. Customers can request them to drill a hole into the bullet so it can be worn as a key chain.
- WeddingRingCoffin.com sells the final resting place for dead marriage’s wedding ring.
- Sprinkles Custom Cakes in Florida, which specializes in wedding cakes, now creates specially designed cakes costing an average of $185 to symbolize the end of the marriage after getting requests from their past clients.
- In Japan, Hiroki Terai is the country’s first “charisma divorce planner” who helps divorcing couples celebrate the end of their togetherness.
- The Los Angeles-based DivorcePartyPlanner.com offers various party packages to help those who are divorcing share this event with their families and friends and celebrate the next chapter of their lives.
- New York-based Life After Divorce organizes events to help women cope with divorce and hear stories and advice from others who have gone through with it.
- The UK department store Debenham recently launched its divorce gift list service, which is intended to help those leaving the marital home make a fresh start with their lives.
- ChocolateFantasies.com offers divorce gifts such as a Happy Divorce Chocolate Bar and Ex Wife Voodoo Doll.
- TheDivorceCards.com offers some divorce-centric cards, such as a postcard with this message I lost half of everything I own in my recent divorce, including envelopes. So I am sending you this lousy postcard to tell you how you can now reach me…”
This article is not intended to glorify divorce or make light of it, but just to point out some of the businesses that have cropped up in recent years targeting this market. I realize that for many, the topic of divorce may be taboo and the idea of earning from the misery of others may be revolting.
True as it may be, a growing number of men and women going through this painful process are now realizing that they need help getting over the hurt caused by their marital breakdown and start their new lives. Whether that means creating rituals to symbolize the end of their marriage, or to help them let go (and be crazy) with their friends in divorce parties, opportunities exist for the divorce market.
Read my business idea-focused article There’s Business in Divorce