If you are looking to improve your rankings in Google or reach the top 10 (if not the #1 spot) in Google, I highly recommend downloading Google’s Search Engine Optimization Starter Guide which Google released on Nov 12 through their official blog
The guide has all the information you need to do well in Google as they basically lay out:
- how to make use of your description metatag
- how to improve the structure of your URLs
- how to make your site easy to navigate
- how to write anchor text
- how to use heading tags properly
- how to optimize the use of your images
- how to make effective use of your robots.txt file
- how to promote your website
And of course, creating QUALITY CONTENT for your site
This document is created by Google, and the tips on how to rank well comes straight from the horse’s mouth. It can help ordinary web site owners understand how their site can get to the top in Google, not to mention that it helps remove the half truths and myths on how to do well in Google.
The information is basic search engine optimization (but don’t we often stumble on the most basic of things?), but what I like about it the paper is their Good Practices section. The paper cites examples on what Google considers are good practices for promoting your website, and this is important.