One question frequently asked by many small and home-based online entrepreneurs is: how will I get my website to rank well in the search engines — without spending a fortune?
Many make the mistake of thinking that there’s a magic software to get to the top of the search engine rankings. Or that there’s an easy trick that can be used. Well, many resort to trickeries but search engines have become so smart and savvy that they catch up to these tricks — and banish the offending websites from their databases.
The best and most inexpensive way is to have the BEST and MOST RELEVANT content for the search term you want.
It’s all about content. With good content:
- Users will visit your site more; even spread the word about your awesome site
- Other sites will link to you without you asking them to link to you, and having more links will boost your search engine ranking
- Users clicking on your page in the search results will stay longer in your site because they find your content relevant to the keywords you searched, and that tells the search engines that your site is indeed relevant to the keyword and will rank you higher
Look at those sites currently ranking for the search terms you want. Analyze the following:
- Look at how they wrote the title of their site (metatag title)
- Look at their other metatags particularly description metatags
- Determine what content they have on their site and how they present their content
- Go to Yahoo Siteexplorer and do a search to determine how many sites are linking to top ranking sites, and what these sites are
Now ask yourself: how can I do better than these sites currently ranking for the terms I want? What type of content will set me apart from the other top sites? What metatags should I use for my site? How can I get the sites linking to them to notice my site?
Getting top rankings in the search engine is a continuous work. You continue to work on your content; continue to build links; continue to get the word out there about your site. Your competitors are not resting, so should you.