One asker at Yahoo Answers raised the question of why her website was not getting any traffic. The site has been live for several months, but it is nowhere to be found in the search engines. Being a newbie who knows nothing about designing and creating a web site, she spent her meager resources to hire a web designer to create her website.
And of course, she expected orders to start coming in once the site became live. Alas, that was not the case. Worse, the site was not even getting any traffic.
I looked at her site, which focuses on her consultancy business, and it was very pretty. Problem was, everything was in graphics and no text. The whole site was in .jpg — both the text and the graphics! The only text of the site can be found in her navigation bar. No wonder she’s not getting any traffic — there’s nothing for search engines to chew on.
The sad part is that she’s not the only one. I’ve seen several websites of small business owners done by web designers that simply focused on looks, and did not consider how search engines will see the site. As a result, they wasted precious resources as their websites cannot get top rankings for their keywords.
Aside from firing those web designers, here are some basic tips to optimize your website:
- Select the keywords or key phrases yout think would best to optimize your site for, and then analyze your competition.
- Make sure that those keywords are present on the pages you want to rank for those keywords
- Create good quality content — ranking in the search engines is all about content
- Start finding quality links to your site
- Continue building your site’s reputation through quality content and links
Read full article “5 Tips to Optimizing Your Website”