I am a coupon freak (at least online). While I never collect coupons going to the grocery, I always search the Web first if there are any coupons available before I start my online shopping. I also sign up for offers with my favorite stores so I get their latest deals and coupons.
If you are selling on the Web, online coupons are a must to attract and retain customers. MultiChannel Merchant has an interesting article on “Ten Tips for Online Couponing” written by the founder of CouponCabin.com. His tips include:
- Create coupons that appeal to a wide audience and are simple to apply.
- Avoid complicated coupon codes.
- Higher discounts lead to better conversion rates.
- Coupons offering a flat rate discount in dollars, such as $10 off a purchase of $50 or more, are very popular.
- Create a minimum spending requirement (e.g. $10 if you spend $200)
- Free shipping coupons do well
- Offer greater discounts to first time customers since they often have larger orders
- Make your coupons user friendly or just one click of the user
- Mark your coupon code boxes in your checkout clearly so customers can see them immediately
- Link the coupons to specific landing or category pages.