According to a Center for Disease Control study , an estimated 16 percent of children and adolescents ages 6-19 years are overweight. And the number seem to be growing! In fact, this estimate represent a 45% increase from their previous study.
Childhood obesity is caused by a myriad problems. But a huge part is attributed to young people not regularly engaging in vigorous-intensity physical activity. Participation in physical education classes has been dropping. Children are sitting more on the sofa watching TV or playing computer games instead of running around.
Whatever the reason for childhood obesity, this is one market segment that could offer small business entrepreneurs significant opportunities. Here are some ideas:
- Create a gym/fitness center specifically for kids — sell fitness as a source of fun and enjoyment. Have a climbing wall and other facilities that will allow kids to exercise and play at the same time.
- Life coach — to help kids who need to lose weight
- Seller of kid size exercise equipment — kid size tread mill, trampoline, kid size dumbells, even hydraulic equipment
- Seller of sports equipment for kids — junior golf clubs, children’s tennis rackets, and children’s bikes.
- Weight loss camps for children — one month camp to help children lose weight appeals to busy parents worried that their already overweight children might gain even more weight during the summer vacation.
- After school programs for kids — exercise programs that children can go to after school to have fun and lose weight
- Food products — instead of supersizing, go for the opposite end and provide smaller portions of food
I have seen some of these businesses in action — and it takes a while for parents to understand that they need to do something for their kids. But this is a growing market that should be considered by anyone trying to start or expand a business.