Resume writing and job career counseling are thriving businesses because of the increasing competition in the labor force out there. You don’t just need a CV, but you need a killer CV that will get you a job interview and land you the job.
To find clients, here are some of the best ways:
- College job placement offices – a great market as graduating students need to do their resumes so you need to either put a flyer or your business card or even post your ad in their college newspaper
- Local employment services offices
- Ask your friends to refer your services to others
- Consider getting a website. It can serve as an online brochure for your services and can also help you market your services
- Do press releases in your local newspapers or on the Web.
You may consider getting professional certification from the Professional Association of Resume Writers & Career Coaches http://www.parw.com/home.html . This organization provides the Certified Professional Resume Writer Credential (CPRW). Another organization is the National Resume Writers Association and they offer the Nationally Certified Resume Writer credential (NCRW) http://www.nrwa.com/ , the industry’s first master-level, renewable certification. Clients know that they will be dealing with a professional and expert in the field if they see you belong to an association and professionally certified
Marketing Your Resume Writing Service Business
1. Focus on a niche for your resume writing business
One way to distinguish your resume writing services is to focus on a niche – and strive to be well-known as the leading resume writer for that field. You can choose to become a specialist, offering your resume writing services to a specific target audience. Some possible niches include:
- Government job applicants
- Moms returning to work
- Applicants for tech-related positions
- Editing/Reworking resumes/curriculum vitae
- Online marketing of resumes, including creating LinkedIn profiles for resume clients
- Job changers
- New graduates
2. Offer quality service
Everything starts with a quality product. For a resume writer, that means knowing the employers’ hot buttons and knowing how to create a resume that will speak to these hot buttons. It all comes down to selling the job candidate’s qualifications and accomplishments in a way that will get results – and as a resume writer, that is what you need to do best.
3. Offer guarantees
In order to stand out from your competitors, one marketing strategy is to offer money-back guarantee in your resume writing service. Your business can offer the guarantee that your professionally developed resumes will generate results for your firm’s clients or you will give 100% of their money back.
The reason behind the guarantee is simple: you want to put the clients at ease. Searching for a job is stressful and you can make it your mission to make the job hunting process as pain free and as risk-free for your clients as possible.
4. Offer free bonuses
To set your business apart from your competitors and entice your target market, one way is to offer free bonuses to your service. Think of bonuses that you can bundle together with your services. Some possible bonuses that you can provide include:
- Job Hunting manual that you wrote and turned into a booklet
- Free professionally written custom Cover Letter
- Free professional written custom Thank You letter
- Free web formatting of the resume
- Interview secrets guide
- Federal application process guide for those who want to apply for work with the government
In your website and in your handouts to customers, be sure to give the estimated value of each of these bonuses. Then you can package them together and lure customers with offer such as “Weekend Special: Get 3 Additional Bonuses Worth $200.”
In the event that the clients ask for their money back, you can specify that you will let the clients keep the resume and ALL the special bonuses
5. Offer money back guarantee
You may give your clients 6 months to decide if they want their money back. Within 6 months of the purchase date, clients can ask for a full refund at any time. It may sound crazy, but this only works if you believe in your own product. You need to be convinced that you know how to write powerful and result-generating resumes.
6. Join associations and be certified
There are a number of resume writing associations that offer certifications. Getting certified is important to demonstrate that you adhere to high standards and that you offer quality service. Passing certification means that you are a highly experienced resume professional. The certification allows you to distinguish your experience from your competitors.
7. Check out local unemployment offices
If you are looking for your market, there’s no better place than local unemployment offices. Try to befriend the workers there and check if you can put up fliers. When you visit, be sure to hand out cards to those looking for work.
Additional Resources for Starting a Resume Writing Service:
I suggest you read the following books to give you more information about th business
- Job Coach-Life Coach-Executive Coach-Letter & Resume-Writing Service: Step-by-Step Business Startup Manual by Anne Hart
- How to Start a Home-Based Resume Business, 2nd (Home-Based Business Series) by Jan Melnik
- The Unwritten Rules of the Highly Effective Job Search: The Proven Program Used by the Worlds Leading Career Services Company by Orville Pierson
- Shortcut Your Job Search: The Best Ways to Get Meetings (Five O’Clock Club)
- Resume Magic: Trade Secrets of a Professional Resume Writer by Susan Britton Whitcomb by Kate Wendleton (Paperback – Aug 18, 2005)
If you are interested in starting a resume writing business, here are some articles that can give you information
- Start & Run a Profitable Resume Service http://www.savvychicks.com/resumesp.html
- How to Start a Resume Writing Business http://www.homebiztools.com/ideas/resume_writing.htm
- Start a Resume Writing Service for Profit http://ezinearticles.com/?Start-a-Resume-Writing-Service-for-Profit&id=48964
- Start a Resume Writing Business http://www.bellaonline.com/articles/art11639.asp
- Make Money With Your Own Resume Service http://www.ezau.com/latest/articles/0257.shtml
a WordPress rating system
a WordPress rating system