I am currently reading this very interesting book “Everybody Wins: The Story and Lessons Behind RE/MAX” by Phil Harkins and Keith Holligan. The book is a very absorbing read, as it recounts how RE/MAX was started with all the ups and downs that the company and everybody involved in it experienced — from threats of bankruptcies, internal turmoil (revolt of its managers), and the strategies that propelled this business to the top. I am not familiar with the dynamics of the real estate industry, but this retelling of how the vision of Dave Liniger, RE/MAX chairman and co-founder revolutionized the real estate industry can give everyone running and managing a business fresh new ideas on leadership and management.
Written in almost fiction-like and engaging narrative, each chapter ends with important lessons that can be distilled from RE/MAX. Below are the lessons that every business, big or small, can learn from this company:
1. Unharvested ideas are worthless.
2. Sharing the dream makes the dreams come true.
3. Leaders dare to ask the hard questions.
4. Overwhelming market presence grows dreams.
5. Keep unwavering focus on the dream, even in adversity.
6. Link learning to strategy, people and innovation to create “flow.”
7. Become a pace-line leader
8. An operational mindset requires formulaic persistence resulting in exponential surges in growth.