If you work nonstop without a break...worry about offending others and back
down too easily...explain too much when asked for information...or "poll" your
friends and colleagues before making a decision, chances are you have been
bypassed for promotions and ignored when you expressed your ideas. Although you
may not be aware of it, girlish behaviors such as these are sabotaging your
NICE GIRLS DON'T GET THE CORNER OFFICE
Lois P. Frankel, Ph. D., an internationally recognized executive coach who
has worked with Fortune 500 companies, reveals why some women roar ahead in
their careers while others stagnate. She's spotted a unique set of behaviors-101
in all-that women learn in girlhood that sabotage them as adults. Now, in this
groundbreaking guide, she helps you eliminate these unconscious mistakes that
could be holding you back-and offers invaluable coaching tips you can easily
incorporate into your social and business skills.
If you recognize and change the behaviors that say "girl" not "woman," the
results will pay off in career opportunities you never thought possible-and in
an image that identifies you as someone with the power and know-how to occupy
the corner office!
Do these "nice girl" mistakes sound familiar to you?
• Mistake #3: Working too hard. The truth is no woman was ever promoted
purely because of hard work. Learn to "waste" a little time.
• Mistake #26: Decorating your office like your living room. Unless you're an
interior decorator, it doesn't pay. Reevaluate your office decor.
• Mistake #27: Feeding others. You're not "Mom" or Betty Crocker. Think twice
before you put food on your desk.
• Mistake #59: Asking permission. Children, not adults, ask for approval. Be
direct, be confident.
• Mistake #73: Smiling inappropriately. When men don't smile they're taken
seriously. Make your demeanor fit the situation. Learn why...